May 2, 2018 is a day I didn’t think would be here as soon as it came. I remember being a teenager looking at girls in their twenties and thinking, “wow, those girls look so c o o l. I can’t wait to be in my twenties!”
Now here I am, 25 years of age and I definitely could have waited a little longer! Also, I don’t think I’m that cool… In fact, those closest to me think i’m the corniest gal you’ve ever met, with the most cheesy dad jokes. Below are some of my thoughts on my quarter-life crisis.
1. Why so serious? Twenty-five is a strange age. There’s a lot of pressure into thinking you should have your life together. Truth is, I am still growing and learning new things about myself daily. I still have a hard time figuring out what to eat for dinner –let alone knowing what my 10-year plan looks like.
2. Ok, life is kinda serious. To contradict myself from earlier, I have realized how serious this life is but also how special it is and not to take it for granted. I want to keep reminding myself tomorrow is not promised so to really make the best of each day.
3. Relationships. They are very important. The older I get, the more I cherish them. Who you surround yourself around can have a huge impact on your life. A few years back, I remember praying to God to help me find some meaningful friendships. That required me to step out of my comfort zone in many situations, but man did He provide. I am so thankful for all the beautiful friends and family that I’ve become closer to these past few years.
4. Love unconditionally, despite circumstances or how I may feel.
5. I should probably start using night creams if I don’t want wrinkles 🙂 —Not all my thoughts are so serious, geesh.
6. Say “no” more often. I’m realizing it’s okay to simply say no and not need an excuse to decline things I simply don’t want to do.
7. Perspective is everything. Changing the way you look at situations can really change the outcome. Something I learned at church this past weekend was changing your perspective from an obligation to an opportunity. Whether it’s with my job, my relationships, or in giving – I want to make sure that in every circumstance, I see it as more of an opportunity to love, give and serve rather than feeling obligated to do it.
Unless it’s taking out the trash, I really can’t find joy in this no matter how hard I try and can’t wait for a husband to take over this duty one day 😉
8. Current fav songs are Cold Little Heart by Michael Kiwanuka and Not in a Hurry by Will Reagan. Ooh also loving The Only Reason by JB Cooper.
9. Laugh more. I honestly catch myself laughing at myself more often than not when I’m in uncomfortable situations. Knowing that certain things are out of my control has helped me not get upset over every little thing that goes wrong.
10. Really want to be more intentional about enjoying the season I’m in.
11. Keep traveling and explore more. Suprise?
12. Things will not go as planned. Take a moment and look at that 10-year plan you have and go ahead and
scratch some of it out. Don’t forget to leave room for God and all He has planned for you. I pictured my life completely different at 25. When I started creating plans on my own and didn’t see them come to life, it was heartbreaking. The moment I started giving my life to God, I realized He has much better plans for me and became a lot happier.
13. I don’t like number thirteen so I’m skipping this one.
14. I used to hate coffee and find it so weird how much I love it now. Dunkin Donut iced coffee with vanilla bean swirl, please.
15. Learning to think differently. I think we live in a Me Me Me world. A “What can you do for me?” mentality. I really want to challenge myself to work toward, “How can I encourage you, how can I use talents God’s given me to help make a difference?”
16. I’m making it a point to not compare to others. How boring would life be if we were all the same? God made us who we are for a reason.
17. Great number.
18. Expectations. Backtracking to where I expected to be at 25. I think expectations and pressure go hand in hand. When you expect certain things on your timeline rather than Gods timing, this can build too much pressure. So I am learning to take steps back and let go and let God. Cliché I know, but it’s true.
19. Going to see LANY in June with Miranda and i’m pretty stoked. Trying to go to more concerts this year, so if you know of any good ones let me know!
20. I have a current obsession with plants, like it’s a little scary.
21. Commitment. I’ve learned how important being committed is. Working on making sure if I commit to something to give it my all.
22. I like this. “The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.”
23. “Nobody likes you when you’re 23″, so I’m glad I am 25. 😉
24. Shout-out to my sweet friends who threw me a surprise b-day party. I love you guys.
25. Feeling beyond thankful for another year!
Thanks for peeking into my thoughts. This year I want to challenge myself in many areas. Thank you to the ones who have encouraged me so far, the best is yet to come!
PS. thank you Dani Nichol Photography for these photos! xoxo
So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. — Matthew 6:31-34